We have always promoted safe and responsible exploration of our mountains and will continue those efforts as we move carefully through this pandemic. We are committed to providing accurate, up-to-date information on what's reopened in Asheville and Western NC, as well as offer recommendations on how to safely experience everything our region has to offer. Check back daily for updates and please wear a mask! (Feature photo: Mountain bikers at DuPont State Forest)
Governors Cooper's 3 Phase Plan to reopen NC.
Coronavirus: Updates for Asheville and Western NC
Current Status of Asheville & Western NC: Phase 2. This phase will be in effect until September 9 at which time it will be decided if NC remains in Phase 2 or moves onto Phase 3. Check back for details!
How does Phase 2 impact traveling in and around Asheville?
- Face masks are now required in public spaces. You can purchase these at many stores and even gas stations.
- Biltmore is open with very limited capacity for house tours. However, you can enjoy Antler Hill Village and Farm and Outdoor Activities at Biltmore like the gardens, trails, and more. The Downton Abbey Exhibition is open through Sept 7, 2020.
- Some spas are open with limited capacity. See our list of Top Spas in and around Asheville for more info.
- Buncombe County Hotels and other lodging are now permitted to operate at full capacity.
- Restaurants are open with reduced capacity for dine-in. Expect long waits, plan ahead, and make reservations. Some only offer take-out.
- Breweries, wineries, and distilleries are open. Non-restaurants bars are NOT permitted to open under phase 2.
- Bars, nightclubs, theatres, and music venues are closed.
- Outdoor attractions like National and State Parks and Forests, Sliding Rock, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more are open with some limitations. See our Outdoors Guide for a complete list with links and details for each.
- Public parks and playgrounds are open.
- Most big attractions like Biltmore, Sliding Rock, Great Smoky Mountain Railroad, NC Arboretum, and others are open with limitations and safety protocols in place. Expect long lines and delays. Always wear a mask!
- Some Guided Tours & Experiences are available with limitations. Check directly with the tour company to get details on each.
- Many locals shops and art galleries are open on a limited basis. See our Shopping Guide and Art & Galleries for more.
Practice the 3 W's
The NC Department of Health and Human Services is asking us to stay strong and continue to flatten the curve and slow the spread of COVID-19.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
For more general information related to the coronavirus COVID-19, visit the Center for Disease Control’s website and NCDHHS's website.